Sunday, July 02, 2006

Two peas....

If I am going to start, I've gotta start somewhere.
Two peas in a pod: 1- identical twins--always thought I'd like to be one, wondered what it would be like, read articles about them with great interest, especially about their telepathic abilities, particularly knowing when each other were in danger or acute need, taught a few in my time; fascinating!
2- my high school best friend and I--did everything together from sixth grade through eleventh, even separate major roles in our junior class play, even lots of double dates, some we never should have accepted. But in 12th grade she made cheerleading and I didn't. That was the beginning of separate paths, although we thought of each other as "best friend" for another 5, maybe 10 years, and at the 20 year reunion, there were still classmates who called me by her name and her by mine.
3- my favorite, but least apparent--my husband and me: together and in love 35+ years--so unalike but so congruous,so copasetic. In so many ways we are opposites. He's a "body risker" and I don't want my challenges to involve life and limb. He's a tosser and I'm a "dyed-in-the-wool" pack rat ---ooh, that one causes lots of trouble. He was a rowdy, a maverick, an out of the house as soon as he finished high school. I'm an original "goody two-shoes" (where the heck does that dumb expression come from anyway?)--went away to college but never lived too far away to be there for Mom & Dad within 12 hours ("A son is a son 'til he takes a wife; a daughter's a daughter all of her life"). Extended family is important to me; yes, a visit to relatives in another state is a vacation. For him immediate family is the only "family" that entails any real obligation, and visiting out of state relatives (any of them)is wasted leave time and is only necessary for weddings and desperately serious illnessess.
But we have such fun together, and we laugh a lot! We enjoy the theater together and get off on road trips and hiking. We have a great time with trivia---I give clues, he gives answers I couldn't have come up with for hundreds of dollars, but as soon as he says them I know that they are exactly what I was trying to say. We love boating; and we love our pets together--laugh when they drive us crazy, and cry together when any one of them reaches the end of life. And, when we can, we exercise together. Our favorite, but not frequent (because of our opposite work schedules) is taking long, brisk walks around the neighborhood. We often hold hands. We always talk. Sometimes he reminds me that he often wondered, before we married, how anyone found anything to talk about after the first 10 or 15 years of marriage. Then he grabs my hand and reassures me that he wants us to take these walks together every day after we retire, so all the joggers and young moms with strollers and people working in their yards will look & wave as we go by and think, "There goes that cute little old couple!" We laugh.
Two peas in a pod---I'd like to think that's us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laini Taylor said...

What a beautiful portrait of a marriage! You're lucky, and inspiring. Thanks for starting Sunday Scribblings! Welcome.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Going For Greatness said...

How lovely! I love your entry today! Marriage is sacred when ya do it right, isn't it? I am one such lucky girl too!

Oh! and you made me think and do a little research.. I wondered too where 'Goodie two shoes' originated from.....

What is the origin of "Goody two-shoes"? "Goodie two-shoes"? "Goody 2 shoes"?

(Phrase origins)

According to www.quinion.com...

"It comes from the title of a rather twee and moralistic nursery tale called _The_History_of_Goody_Two-Shoes_, which is thought to have been written by Oliver Goldsmith, and which was published in 1765 by John Newbery, one of the earliest London publishers of children's stories. Goody owned only one shoe. When she was given a pair of them, she was so pleased that she showed them to everybody, saying "Two shoes". The phrase now refers to a self-righteous, smugly virtuous person.>--"[1]

"Goody" was a common nickname for married women, way back when; it was short for "Goodwife". The character's "real" name was Margery Meanwell (and she lived in Mouldwell).

(extract from the aue archives, article by Orne Batmagoo referencing the World Wide Words site

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&selm=3D0FAE5A.4000806%40uwsa.edu

9:06 AM  
Blogger Yummyteece said...

OMGosh! Crying now. What a great picture of a pair of peas.

And what a Great Blog title!! Well Done.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home