Friday, March 02, 2007

Superstition

Just about the time we are feeling proud of our independent stature and self reliance, many of us find ourselves, really without thinking about its silliness, knocking on wood after making an affirmative statement that we don't want fate to suddenly reverse, or muttering "Bread and butter" under our breath as we drop the hand of a loved one so we may pass one on either side of some obstruction in the street. But asked if we are superstitious, most of my friends and I would, I believe, say "Of course not!"

I really cannot think of any superstition that I truly believe. My beautiful, wonderful, intelligent daughter was born on the 13th and so was my wise, witty and remarkably brilliant dad. How then could I ever be superstitious about Friday the 13th? Every day of the month, of every month, must sometimes fall on Friday. How frustrating and silly to think because of that happenstance, those would be bad birthdays. And black cats--posh!! Three of my four grandcats are black. Should I love them less, or fear them?? I don't think so. And in spite of my decades long love of drama and theater, I really don't see that wishing actors "Good luck" really brings them bad luck. But lest there be some among the cast and crew who do believe, I shall continue to wish them, truly always with the tiniest bit of trepidation, to "break a leg." Also, I have been a part of good dress rehersals and bad dress rehersals and terrible dress rehersals. I think for the most part the dress rehersal does indicate preparedness and actually suggests what one may expect of opening night. I must believe that the only reason for the silly superstitious saying that a bad dress rehersal means a great opening night is so that the actors will not be frightened into a worse disaster, sort of a self fulfilling prophesy or a bumbling snowball effect.

Superstitions keep us mindful that we are not entirely in control of our own fate; keep us aware that almost all of us keep trying to have that control.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

I love Friday the 13th! It's my lucky day - my two sons (now 28 and 21) were both born on Friday the 13th. Enjoyed stopping by . . .

10:24 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

oh yes, friday the 13th always ends up being a fabulous day for me. loved your ideas!

12:13 AM  
Blogger rel said...

I find it curious to observe people's idiosyncrasies. It's mostly humorus to see. Superstitions add a certain character to folks, harmless for sure.
rel

1:02 AM  
Blogger Shelby said...

happy Monday!

7:00 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Very interesting to read other peoples' thoughts. Friday the 13th never bothered me. It is as good or s bad as any other day.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Tinker said...

I've always felt a bit torn about wishing actors to 'break a leg' - almost as though I were wishing THAT upon them. But I follow the tradition anyway, lest anyone in the cast might feel jinxed by wishing them luck.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Frances D said...

I like Friday 13th - I think a Friday the 13th birthday party would be ultra cool. I was born on drat - the 12th myelf.
Thanks for sharing,
Frances
http://blogjem.com/2007/03/04/sunday-scribblings-march-4th/

4:41 PM  
Blogger miss magic said...

I find superstitions amusing. It's funny to see how people actually believe all that stuff!! People used to dare me to drop a mirror, or go underneath a bridge. I'd pretend I was really scared and said that I'd only do it if they gave me, say, 5 bucks. Then I did, came out alive, and earned an ice cream!!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Yummyteece said...

As a theatre person, I don't really mind when someone says "good luck" as opposed to "Break a leg", although I feel the latter is the more traditional, and thus like it more.

however, being a theatre person, I will admit to having inherited theatrical superstitioun of NEVER saying the name "Macbeth" in a theatre. It's always "The Scottish Play", and when referring to characters they are "Lady M" and her husband. LOL

5:25 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

It's fascinating to read about how some days are special and others fear the same days. Lovely post!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home