Sunday, October 21, 2007

My Primary Edict SS# 81

If I were suddenly made the supreme ruler of this world and could really expect that all people would follow the policy or policies I set down, I cannot think of a better first edict than one saying that all people, the world over, should follow the "Golden Rule." If we all gave that idea: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" some serious and contemplative thought, then made our very very best effort to do exactly that, what a truly improved world this would be.

Each person: "This is what I want or wish. But wait, how would I feel if someone else imposed this condition on me."


Reactions or response choices:

"I can live with that. I think anyone could and we'd all be happier or at least just as happy." -OK

or

"What the.....? Whose lame-brained notion was this mess??" --No!

That is pretty much my response to this prompt; and I see my answer is not what I would consider "light." But it is really quite a thoughtful and heavy question. There are lots of changes I would like to see made----no more abuse of any kind or crime or murder or prejudice; freedom of religion for everyone, with no imposing one's views on others; no more hatred or war. Then there are lighter changes I'd also like to see---no more reality TV or stupidity and ignorance used to entertain; eliminate exploitation of sex in ways that cheapen and devalue it---oops, I am back into serious, aren't I?? Even though I have now given it quite a bit of thought and have read a lot of other people's responses, I don't think I would change my initial response. I think the Golden Rule, respected and followed by all people, would go a long way to solving most of the world's problems.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tumblewords: said...

You're right, I'm sure, about the Golden Rule! Because there's so much muck going on, I had a hard time finding froth and fun in this prompt, too! Nice post!

9:24 AM  
Blogger rel said...

Sundaycynce,
Good to visit with you again.

Yes, for what was intended as a light and fun prompt, many folks took it to heart (myself included) and thought long and hard about what one act could do to right the world. The "Golden Rule" is a good track to start on.
rel

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home