Sunday, July 15, 2007

Hair (SS #68)

Hair. What can I say about hair? I see that lots of people have really gotten into this one, but beyond appreciating my hair, I haven't a lot to say on this subject.

What first comes to mind is the tune and just snatches of the refrain to the title song "Hair" from the the rock opera of the same name. I can remember very little of those lyrics. I never actually saw any version of the play/opera itself, and really don't think I missed much. It wasn't to my taste then or now, but the music stuck around. I actually think the song "Age of Aquarius" was from that same show.

Hair is fun. Mine is thick, straight but with natural body, and easy to work with. I have really been very lucky with it because it is quite managable and I have been able to please myself with it, beyond the necessity of finding someone to give me a good cut, which I can usually make last from 8 to 12 weeks. It is good to feel satisfied with the hair and color I was received by nature and genes. I am glad I have hair. (That sounds a little simple minded, but I mean it---and the contrast is with the brave ladies I refer to later in this post.)

I really have not had very many different hair styles but I have liked and felt comfortable with those I have worn for significant periods of times. One of my good styles is quite short and straight; the other is just a bit longer than shoulder length and quite curly. Both are pretty low maintenance, which is important to me. When I was thinking this all over this weekend I realized---- I had never thought about it before---- ironically, I have only ever owned 2 wigs for a significant length of time and they are in almost the same styles as the 2 actual hair styles I have rotated back and forth between for most of my adult life. Obviously, I wore the wigs during the period I was wearing the opposite hair style.

My color has always pleased me also, altho I must admit I have played with color a bit. My natural hair is a rich dark brown with both golden and red highlights. I probably had more natural gold and wanted more natural red, so when I colored it I went toward auburns; still do, a little, chestnuts and auburns. My most drastic have been deep mahogany and once a near purple; when I was out in the sunlight and wearing purple, JR said my hair matched. That was a bit drastic and I didn't go with that shade again.


I admire greatly the bravery of certain ladies I have known who, when they were losing their hair anyway to breast cancer's poison drugs, have fearlessly, or maybe very fearfully, shaved their heads and gone about their lives beautifully, or at least proudly, bald---proudly because it represented a fight they were giving their all to, against an evil and insidious monster of an opponent. Power to all the ladies, and men, who bravely fight the cancer monster, in spite of its physical ravages!!!!


DON'T FORGET ABOUT "FIRE THE GRID" ON JULY 17th !!!!!!


See my "Secret Hope" post (SS# 65) if you don't know what this means. It was written 6/21.

I also have written a short reminder blog today on my regular blog site.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger rel said...

Sundaycynce,
Hair seems to be quite important to each in their own way. As you so nicely pointed out...even baldness can make a powerful statement.
rel

6:05 PM  
Blogger Herb Urban said...

Having very curly hair, I've always considered it to be a hassle. I get it cut every 4 to six weeks, giving it the same personal attention you'd give a lawn.

Whenever I grew it long it always made a mess of my mornings. My motto is keep it short, keep it simple. But like anything else, variety is the spice of life.

You have to admire anyone who wears their convictions on their sleeves and their scalps.

Nice post.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

Hair hair everywhere
over here and over there

...and bravo to the brave ladies who face down breast cancer!

8:06 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

My friend is losing hair to chemo therapy. So painful both physically and emotionally.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

We are so emotionally connected to our hair. I hope if I ever did start to lose mine that I would be brave and bold and shave it all off. Good post.

3:12 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I too admire those women - and men - who have shaved their heads to adapt to the ravages of cancer-fighting treatment. Yes, a bald head can make a strong statement. And we are lucky to have hair!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home