Saturday, April 28, 2007

Wings

Wings, I believe, are an almost universal symbol of what is positive and inspirational.

"On the wings of a snow white dove.." "You are the wind beneath my wings." "...rise up on the wings of angels..." or of eagles; "You lift me up so I can walk on mountains. You lift me up to walk on stormy seas." I am actually not sure that last 2-sentence one is actually referring to wings; but in my mind it goes along with all the others well, and upholds the continuity of my feeling of the positiveness and power of wings. All of the images that come to my mind in connection with the word and concept of wings are very positive and uplifting; religious or near-religious; holy and/or inspirational. Many are the stories in which rescue comes on wings, whether on the wings of great birds, like Gandalf's rescue from imprisonment by Sauron; or whether the rescue is a med-evac helicopter. Even the wings of an airplane, and the concept of airplane wings which originally lifted the Wright brothers into international fame, are always positive images to me.

Flight almost seems holy to me. I remember the first time I flew in an airplane among the clouds and thought to myself that this must be what heaven looks like. I love flying. I always have. Maybe it makes me feel closer to God. Maybe it is just the wonder and awe I feel about what I can see, about what we are doing that 400 years ago no one thought any man would ever do, or about how those wings can take me anywhere in the world. How close wings have brought our friends and family, and all the beautiful places on the other side of the world.

Wings promise us magic or adventure or escape or pleasure. From Icarus's wax and feather creation to Tinker Bell's magic pixie dust that helped Wendy, John, and Michael join Peter Pan in Neverland to the hyperberic (I am neither sure I have used the right word nor that I have spelled it correctly) chamber in which Steven Hawkings this week escaped the bonds of his paralysis and his wheel chair, wings free us to exploration and adventure and delight.

Whether our wings and flight are literal or figurative, we should all take at least some of the opportunities that come along in our life to spread wings and fly. By doing so, our lives are enriched, often beyond conceivable measure.

Bravo and congratulations, Laini! You have set us a marvelous example!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandra.if said...

you are right about that ...there are many kind of wings...!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely post, yes there is something very special about flying.

7:07 AM  
Blogger brokenawake said...

Flight saved my grandfathers life. He like I was unable to release anger very easily. It welled up inside and literally would break his heart until one day he would snap at the first person who made him angry. This was a very rare occasion I only saw once in my life. Most everyone loved my grandfather, he lived to serve. His house was always open to the passing visitor that needed a bed to rest upon or a meal to eat. Grandma was always ready to cook!

The life of a humanitarian soul is rewarding but stressful. Grandpa relieved this stress by flying. He had a small airport I used to hang out at with him. My first airplane ride was when I was two. My first word was airplane. I always thought I was born to fly because of Grandpa. When the stress was too big he'd tell me, "wanna go for a ride?" I always jumped up eagerly and said "YES!" Grandpa started to teach me to fly at 8 years old. With wooden blocks attached to my feet to reach the rudder pedals he would give me the stick and under his careful eye teach me the dynamics of flight.

Flight is good! Wings, as in life, come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

Hmmm...maybe I should just succumb to this SS thing...

:-)

10:37 AM  
Blogger rel said...

Wings whether virtual or real can take us places faster. And sometimes to places oterwise unreachable. It's a good thing.
rel

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home