Saturday, May 05, 2007

Oceans

I love oceans. Oceans are somewhere near the heart of life and romance and beauty and peace.

Going to sleep and awakening are both more peaceful and more exciting when they happen to the soothing music of waves breaking at the surf's edge and onto the beach. Sunlight and moon light reflected off the dark and white of the ocean sparkle like diamonds and hold some special magic. Moonlight dances on the waves with a romantic, dream-like quality. Sunrise and sunset are more spectacular when duplicated in the water at the horizon. Experiencing either makes me feel more alive, and closer to God.

I have spent most of my life in Florida, so "my ocean" is the Atlantic. But the properties that make oceans special in my mind are pretty common to all seas and oceans. The roar or the hum of waves washing up and/or breaking in the surf or on the shore: the sound is soft, peaceful, soothing, reassuring. The smooth, solid warmth of the sand beneath my feet. The warmth of the sun beating down on the top of my head and on my shoulders. Where else can you be alone with your thoughts whether or not others are around? You can think and walk or meditate. You can pray.

Being at the seashore is to me like being in the world's most spectacular open-air cathedral. The waves and the birds make the music. The sun on the water creates the sparkling stained glass. The sky and the clouds are a ceiling with most spectacular art work. The angels---sometimes they seem to be visible, sometimes not, but I can almost always feel their presence. And God is always near.

The ocean is special in millions of ways beyond this. There are memories of parties of many people and parties of 2 or 4. Memories of bonfires on the beach, back when that was allowed. Music and dancing. Sometimes music from a DJ, sometimes from a live band, and sometimes from just one or 2 friends with guitars, as we sat around and sang. Jogging on the beach in a stiff wind or in stifling heat, the good clean feel of burning out frustrations, or anger, or just calories. Snuggling on a blanket on the beach waiting for the sunrise. Easter sunrise service. Wading into the surf with my dad who taught me to watch and jump the waves. Salt water in your eyes, but loving it. Body surfing. Mindlessly riding the waves on a raft. Walking along the edge of the surf, chasing the sandpipers, getting your feet wet, talking about deep and significant things or just daily ordinary things with a friend; or walking alone in deep thought.

There is no place else like the ocean. It restores my soul like visiting home or sitting very quietly in an almost empty church. Although there can be peril in some aspects of the sea, that is not at all what it represents to me. In their sheer massiveness, oceans are awe inspiring. To me they have to represent a slice of heaven or at least of God's presence here on earth.

5 Comments:

Blogger rel said...

sundaycynce,
You've captured the essence of living by the ocean perfectly. This piece is so reflective of my own thoughts and experiences while walking along the beach.
We have a place on the Gulf coast of Florida.
rel

1:35 AM  
Blogger Yummyteece said...

This is a truly beautiful entry.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Thanks for posting a comment on my art blog! Loved your ocean post! :)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Beautiful post. Moonlight on the sea and singing on the beach especially!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a very beautiful article! I couldn't agree more....

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home